Sunday, July 7, 2019

Camp, little blessings, etc.

Dear Sweetheart,

We, my parents and I, dropped one of the kids from my inner city ministry, where I'm assistant director, off at camp - her family couldn't - early last month. I'm asking those to read to pray for her and some other girls whom she sees like family as they go to a differfent church, that they be welcomed with open arms and really get into growing in the Lord and in all their activities, especially since it's a richer neighborhood by far than theirs. But, God wants to keep growing this church and push it and them to the next level.

For now, some thoughts I'd written, then put off for various reasons and not finished.

This is partly one of those posts where I share how the Lord has given me little glimpses of life as a dad. This certainly was that - the joy of seeing this girl go at the last minute (we're talking the afternoon of our camp's 50th anniversary celebration, the day before we'd drop her off Sunday evening - 3 days' notice like we had last year was too much this time :-)), the prayers I've prayed for her and others paying off (including that she wouldn't be homesick last year) and so on. And, especially the prayers that she really grow spiritually and make a break from some negative influences and not let them lead her astray.

It's a bit of a post about my friend Rick, whom you met 2.5 years ago or seconds ago or however the time works in Heaven, who was always volunteering to drive people places, and how grateful I am to have parents who will do this since I can't see well enough to drive.

It's even partly to consider how I have been a part of so many lives, how it is hard to consistently pray when I am not consistently with those kids like I would have prayed for you. But how God brings certain situations to mind at just the right time.

Most of all, it shares how God puts little blessings in my life when I don't deserve it, just like he does for everyone who trusts him to do so.

I don't really say it could have been you that I was taking the camp. I certainly don't say it should have been - God has the perfect plan.

Yet, I understand why some would say "should" because they are closer to that situation, perhaps less time has elapsed or the grieving process is just so different when they actually knew that child. I know another of your friends, Blake, was stillborn and that mother thinks of him everyday.

It's funny, though. As I wait for God's perfect timing to just hear about her situation and keep praying that God will pour out blessings of Love on to them, I sense that God had me praying for them more because he knew we would have less time. And, we had to take advantage of all the time we had.

That is something we all must do. And, something we will not have to worry about in heaven. Time shall be no more, it will be so different from this world where we are in that fourth dimension of time and we can find time slips away so quickly.

I am so glad we took her there. I've tried to take advantage of every opportunity because I sensed for years that the child God had for me may wind up in Heaven instead of with me on Earth. It is so sad that someone like me takes more advantage of these little opportunities to help than her family cares to do. But that is why there are Ministries like ours.

There is so much need. And, maybe that is one reason why you are where you are. It would have been so much fun to take you to camp and to see you grow in the Lord. But my place is here with others till that special day when we meet for the first time. Till that day when we won't have partings or any sorrow.

Some call it a happy place where we don't think about the stresses of life quite as much. It's like trying to create a bit of Heaven here on Earth. We can't do anything close to how wonderful it will be up there, I know.

I know, however, that till I get there, you are rooting me on. In some funny way, I can even imagine it is sort of like dropping you off at camp. You are with God's people someplace far better than even that though. And while I deal with everything here on Earth, you have such wonderful joy in Heaven.

I don't need to wonder if you are having a good time because I know it is wondrous there, so awesome words can't describe. And, sometimes that is the strength I need to keep going because I know but you will be so proud of me.

I'm sorry, maybe this one rambled a little bit more than normal. I guess that happens when you start it a month and a half earlier. I know however that you understand. You understand how important all those little blessings are. And I am especially thankful that Jesus has given me the ability to have these blessings.

Till we meet.

Love,
Daddy


No comments:

Post a Comment